Some people love going to the grocery store. It’s fun to see new products, plan weekly menus, fill up freezers and try new samples. For others, grocery shopping is a chore. I am one of the former, and absolutely love it (especially if I can score some wicked deals). To learn more about price matching and smart shopping, read my article here.
This weeks question asks:
“What are the most frequently purchased items when you go grocery shopping?”
Good question. It varies from week to week, season to season, but generally I try and follow a few guidelines. I make sure the meals are seasonally appropriate (by that I mean you’re more likely to consume stew in colder months as opposed to a hot summer day), hit the four food groups, if they’re budget friendly and my biggest criteria: if they’re child friendly or can be modified to become child friendly.
That all being said, here are my favourite items that we regularly purchase.
- Fruit (apples, bananas, pears, oranges/clementines, red grapes, raspberries and strawberries are all big hits in my home)
- Vegetables (romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, zucchini, mushrooms, russet potatoes, tomato, bell peppers, red and white onions, garlic)
- Dairy and refrigerated (2% milk for my husband and daughter, almond milk, skim milk for me, eggs, orange juice, marble cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, creamer for coffee, becel margarine, sour cream, cream cheese)
- Grains (whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, white rice, flour, oatmeal, yeast, breadcrumbs, tortilla wraps, bagels, English muffins, naan bread, cereals)
- Meat and alternatives (chicken, beef, pork, hummus, beans)
- Snacks (crackers, pretzels, goldfish, granola bars, cookies, popcorn, nuts, apple sauce)
- Frozen (peas, corn, juice, Eggo waffles, ice cream bars, chicken strips, fries, hash browns)
What are your favourite things to buy while shopping? Let me know below.