This dish was always served Christmas morning when I was growing up. We would get together as a family at my aunt and uncle’s house which was about a seven hour drive away from where we lived. We would wake up Christmas morning, dash to the living room to scope out what Santa has left and then pace anxiously back and forth while we waited for my uncle G to awaken from his slumber and join us in the living room. The fire was always roaring, the Christmas music was playing and my mother was in the kitchen making her famous breakfast pie.
This pie is comfort food. It makes you want to savor each bite and relish in its delicious simplicity. It takes the most basic ingredients and turns them into a breakfast or supper delight. My husband loves drenching his with hot sauce, and others have been known to add insane amounts of pepper on top but I prefer it just as is.
You need traditional breakfast ingredients for this: eggs, cheese, milk, and hash browns. You add in leftover ham (or sausage) and a few vegetables (I prefer peppers and onion). I’ve seen recipes in the past that don’t require preparation of the frozen hash browns, but in my experience if they are not precooked along with the vegetables, the dish takes a LONG time to finish because it is so watery.
Once the hash browns and vegetables are cooked, pour them into a 9×9 greased baking dish and then add the remainder of the ingredients. Season the eggs while you beat them to equally distribute the seasonings. Pour it into the hash brown mix and quickly spread it evenly throughout with a spatula.
Add your leftover meat (optional). I’ve made this pie with both ham and sausage and it’s turned out delicious each time. Add about a cup of shredded cheese to the mixture.
Mix it all up and add additional shredded cheese on top. Bake it in a preheated 375 degree oven for about half an hour and then let it rest for about five minutes before serving. It’s a hearty breakfast food that smells amazing first thing in the morning.
Cheesy Potato and Ham Breakfast Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté the hash browns, bell pepper and onion in a pan with a bit of olive oil until cooked through. This is to ensure there is no excessive water.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×9 baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs and 1/4 cup of milk together with a bit of salt and pepper. Pour them into the hash brown mixture and coat the hash browns evenly.
- Mix in the ham cubes and a cup of cheese into the mixture. Make sure it is mixed well.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or so, until cooked through.
- Let it rest for five minutes before serving.