A hospital bag is a pretty important component to your pre delivery planning. It will store all the components that you deem essential to your needs and comfort during and after the birth process. I have gone through delivery once before, and used nearly everything in my bag. Here is a list of my “must have” items, along with a few other things I found useful.
My bag is actually a small, rolling suitcase that doubles as a carry on whenever we fly. I figured it would be easiest to unpack and repack because it offers different compartments for easy organization.
- Comfortable bottoms – pajama bottoms, shorts, loose sweatpants, anything non constricting and comfortable. You’re not going to slide back into your old clothes right away!
- Loose fitting tank tops or T-shirt’s. If you plan on breastfeeding, make sure these items are loose up top too for easy access.
- Socks. Hospital rooms may be hot or they may be cold. It all depends on the hospital you’re in. Nothing is worse than cold feet.
- An outfit to go home in. Make sure it’s comfy!
- Nursing bra.
- Nursing pads.
- Absorbing pads or diapers for after birth. I purchased the Always brand.
- Hair brush
- Lip balm
- Contacts, contact case, contact solution
- Cheap slippers
- Phone and charger
- Make up
- Make up remover wipes
- Hair products and tools
- “Fancy” camera
- Water bottle
- Entertainment for during labor and after delivery (books, magazines etc).
- Extension cord.
- Going home outfit
- Baby hat
- Body suits and sleepers
- Baby blanket
- Car seat
- Newborn diapers
If you think I forgot something, please comment below and I will add it on. What were your essentials? Happy packing!