I was trying to find a simple way to use up a few leftover honey garlic sausages that we had barbecued the night before, but most of my “go-to” ideas didn’t seem quite appetizing that night. We weren’t in a pasta mood, we didn’t want to have them on buns and we wanted something that incorporated vegetables. I contemplated stir fry, but the problem with that was we didn’t have quite the amount of vegetables we would need in order to have a delicious stir fry. Back to the drawing board.
I ended up deciding to makeshift a stir fry, but turn it into a fried rice instead. We used a slew of leftovers from the fridge, and created something delicious in the process. I took out my wok, and basically took a chance with a new creation and it worked out!
I started by heating a bit of olive oil in the wok, and scrambling four eggs with a pinch of salt for seasoning.
When those were done, I removed them and placed them in a bowl for after. I then added some of the vegetables I did have in the fridge. Tonight we had a bit of red onion, yellow onion, zucchini and garlic.
When those were softened and translucent, I added the chopped up honey garlic sausage to heat it up.
Oh I forgot to add that I had two cups of white long grain rice cooking in a rice cooker while I was sautéing vegetables and sausage. That way I could incorporate it into the next step.
Add it to the sausage and vegetables, and add about a tablespoon and a half of soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar to balance it out.
Then add the scrambled egg, and voila. Delicious, simple dinner ready in less than half an hour with leftover ingredients from the fridge.
Everyone enjoyed it! My daughter loved picking out the egg and eating all of that first, but she ate half a bowl and she’s in a picky toddler stage so I consider that a mom win!
Let me know if you decide to make it, and any variations you do! Usually I make this with chicken or bacon, but honestly this turned out quite tasty.
Easy Sausage Fried Rice
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- 2-4 honey garlic sausages, precooked
- One large onion, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Cook the white rice and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a wok over medium heat. Scramble the four eggs until cooked, add pinch of salt. Remove from wok and set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté vegetables until the onion is translucent and soft. Add garlic and sauté additional 30 seconds, constantly stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Add sausage and heat it up for a few minutes.
- Dump in white rice, and spread sugar and soy sauce over it. Mix it all together with the vegetables and meat.
- Add the egg back in for a moment and incorporate it. Remove from heat and serve hot!