This is my toddler’s favourite meal. I usually try to accompany it with a salad or a stack of steamed veggies to balance out the cheesy carby goodness – this meal is a guilty pleasure! The rich cheese sauce, the pasta cooked to perfection and it’s topped with irresistibly delicious bacon and red onion. You’ll be tempted to head back for more!
You start by being a serious multitasker. At the same time, you need to prepare the cheese sauce, cook the pasta and fry some bacon. Start by boiling water and adding just over half a pound of noodle of your choice to the pot. Drain and dump into a large 9″x13″ baking dish.
Create a roux as a base for your cheese sauce. A roux is a mixture of butter and flour. Add the butter to a sauce pan and melt it and slowly whisk in the flour. Slowly whisk in 2 1/2 cups of cold milk. Add the shredded cheese and mix it in over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and watch as the cheese sauce slowly thickens. Stir occasionally. Pour over top of the noodles and mix in.
Cover the top of the pasta with more shredded cheese, then breadcrumbs, then bacon and thinly sliced red onion. It’s starting to look incredible.
Bake it in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes to make sure all the cheese is melted. Let it stand before serving. Delicious!
Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
- 1 pound of dry pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 1/2 cups of milk (I used 2%)
- 3 cups of shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 pack of bacon, cooked and sliced
- 1/4 of a medium red onion thinly sliced
- Grease a 9×13″ glass dish. Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Begin creating a roux by melting the butter in a sauce pan. Over medium heat, slowly whisk in the flour until combined, then slowly mix in the milk.
- Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese to the sauce, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Stir occasionally. The sauce will thicken over time.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the bacon. Drain the excess fat and slice into small pieces. Set aside.
- Dump the cooked pasta into the baking dish. Mix the sauce into the pasta until evenly coated.
- Top with additional cup of shredded cheese, then breadcrumbs, then red onion and bacon.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove promptly and let stand for five minutes.
- Serve hot with a side salad! Delicious.