My two year old LOVES to help as much as she can. She is curious about everything that mama does during the day, and spends time observing the many small things that contribute to the overall upkeep of a home.
This inspired me to create a small list of age appropriate chores that children around the age of two can probably help do! Let me know what you think in the comments down below.
- Help load the dishwasher. My daughter loves taking the utensils and placing them into the utensil holder after I’ve given them a quick clean.
- Feeding pets. One of her favourite things to do is to give Bandit his meals. She loves telling him to sit and wait, and then telling him it’s okay to eat after she places his bowl in its holder.
- Bringing dishes to the sink. My daughter will bring me cups, plates, utensils and bowls to the sink after she is done eating or drinking.
- Picking up toys. She knows that she needs to tidy her toys after she is done playing with them before bed. She puts them away into little buckets to go in her closet.
- Packing the diaper bag. Whenever we leave the home, she knows that we always bring her Carozoo slippers, water cup, milk cup and a few snacks. Giving her a choice of what snacks she likes to bring is always fun for my daughter. I give her an array of options and she chooses a few to bring with us on our journeys.
- Sorting laundry. My daughter likes to help put her laundry away, but toddlers really aren’t that great at folding. I get my daughter to match her socks together, put pants in one pile, shirts in another and we together to put everything away.
These chores help my daughter develop independence and self confidence. She feels empowered to be able to make simple choices, and to take care of her possessions. Helping children are happy children!