This recipe is one of my daughter’s favourites. Italian breaded Chicken, rich tomato sauce, cheese, vegetables and pasta come together to make a hearty, delicious winter dish. It’s simple to make, quick for a weeknight and even satisfying enough for the pickiest eaters.
You begin my taking your chicken breasts (I used three large ones) and pound them until they’re about 3/8″ thick. Make sure you clean the area after you’re finished pounding and place between wax paper if you can. Create an egg wash by adding parsley, salt, pepper and garlic, and have a plate of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese ready for coating. It’s as simple as an assembly line at this point.
Make sure you evenly coat each chicken breast in the egg wash and the breadcrumb mixture. Whenever they’re prepared, toss them into a preheated deep frying pan (with a lid!) and some olive oil. Cook them until they begin to turn golden brown on the bottom and then flip them. Cook them on medium-low heat.
While the chicken is cooking, begin working on your pasta component. Boil some water and choose any kind of pasta you prefer. My daughter and I prefer spaghetti, so that is what I went with today! Create a vegetable sauce by cooking some vegetables in a small sauce pan until translucent, and then by adding the sauce and seasonings to your taste. I did a shortcut version because it was a weeknight when I made this, so I just used a savory Classico pasta sauce as a shortcut.
When the chicken is done (inside is white and internal temperature is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit), turn off the burner. Add some tomato sauce on top of the chicken, some strips of marble cheese, and reapply the lid to melt the cheese.
Drain your pasta and add your vegetable sauce to it. Coat the pasta, plate it and place your completed chicken on top. Yummmm.
My mouth is watering yet again. #pregnancyproblems
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to 3/8″ thickness
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (Italian seasoning preferred)
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp parsley flakes
- Dried pasta cooked according to package directions (amount dependent on your family)
- 1/2 jar of tomato sauce
- Variety of chopped vegetables (I used mushroom, red onion and green pepper)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of cheese (either shredded or in strips)
- Prepare a large, deep frying pan by turning on a large burner to medium-low heat. Add the olive oil and let heat up.
- Prepare the egg wash by mixing together the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic and parsley. Add the Parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs to a flat plate and mix to combine.
- Dip the pounded chicken into the egg wash first, letting the excess drip off. Coat the chicken with the breading and place into the frying pan. Repeat until all chicken breast pieces are used.
- Allow chicken to cook until golden brown on bottom and then flip. Place lid and let chicken finish cooking, about ten minutes.
- In a medium pot, prepare fried pasta according to package directions. In a small pot, cook the vegetables until they are translucent and then add almost all the tomato sauce. Mix well to combine.
- Drain the pasta when it is prepared and add the sauce. Remove from heat.
- Check the chicken to make sure it is cooked through. The inside should be white and the internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Turn off heat. Top the chicken with a spoonful of tomato sauce to cover the top, and top with cheese. Replace the lid and allow the cheese to melt.
- Plate the pasta and place the chicken on top. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top if you wish.