Today’s recipe is a weeknight favourite. It’s a healthier alternative to Taco Tuesday, but with all the same flavors. What my family likes about this is that underneath all the fun toppings, the base is the same. It’s a basic combination of taco meat, white rice and cheese. The magic comes when you add the rest of the toppings. The size of the portion may look overwhelming at first, but when you realize the majority of it is salad, you calm down a bit!
My favourite toppings to use are lettuce, peppers, red onion, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa. My husband likes to add olives, jalapenos and crushed corn chips. That way you get the taste of the shell but not the added calories that come with multiple shells.
Start by cooking the pound of ground beef in a skillet. Season appropriately to your taste, then drain. Add the taco seasoning mix and cook it until almost no water remains. At the same time, prepare a cup of white rice (we use a Black and Decker rice cooker), and when it is finished, add it to the meat and mix them together.
Turn off the heat, pat the mixture down into the frying pan or skillet and top with shredded cheese. Cover the skillet to melt the cheese.
Cut the portions into four triangles, and top with the toppings. Serve hot! Yum!
Taco in a Pan
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1 cup of white rice, cooked
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- sour cream to taste
- salsa to taste
- jalapeno to taste
- crushed corn chips
- Prepare the ground beef, cooking in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain.
- At the same time as you prepare the meat, prepare one cup of white rice and set aside.
- Mix 2/3 cup of water with the taco seasoning packet. Mix in with the ground beef until no liquid remains. Add the white rice and mix until coated.
- Turn off the heat and pat the meat/rice mixture down with a wooden spoon. Top with the shredded cheese and cover until the cheese is melted.
- Cut the taco in a pan into four equal triangles and top with toppings. Serve hot!