Is there nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of hearty chili in the wintertime? My husband specifically requests this soup on the coldest days of the year. He loves that this soup warms you up, even after spending hours working outside in twenty below temperatures. What I love about it is that besides the fact that it’s delicious, it’s also hearty but light at the same time? Is that possible?
The soup uses chicken and white kidney beans for protein which are both lean sources. Its also chock full of vegetables, seasonings and egg noodles to add more texture. Preparation is easy, and while the soup cooks you have free time to do other things on your busy to do list because it practically cooks itself!
Savory onion and garlic adds a punch of flavor to the broth. It sends the natural saltiness of the chicken meat to a whole new level. One thing I’ve learned through perfecting this recipe though is you have to watch the salt level. Take frequent taste tests to make sure that it isn’t too salty because it can all depend on the type of broth you use, the type of beans and then the added salt as well. It can get fast quick! In addition to the salt, the taste palate also consists of cumin, chili powder, oregano and pepper. Delicious.
You start by boiling the chicken in the water/broth mixture, and then when it is fully cooked, you take it out and shred it before you place it back into the broth mixture. Add a hint of jalapeno to give it a bit of a kick. Then you add the spices, the onion, garlic and can of beans. Yummmm.
I’ve alternated with a few different varieties of beans, vegetables and spices, and I’ve found a few combinations that work. My personal preference is white kidney beans, and only onions and garlic for the root vegetables. I have used shredded carrots as well, and they add a tasty element. Sometimes I change it up and add some egg noodles as well. My daughter particularly likes the noodles, and they add a lovely texture to the dish. The last step is adding some cheese, and then optional cilantro. Serve hot with fresh bread!
White Chicken Chili
- 2 large chicken breasts or 3 small ones
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of white kidney beans with the liquid
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili
- 1/3 of a jalapeno pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup of shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp of sazon goya con azafran (optional)
- Take out a large soup pot. Begin by placing the chicken breasts into the chicken broth and water mixture. Boil the chicken until it is completely cooked, about ten minutes. Remove the chicken, shred and return to the pot.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, beans with liquid, spices and jalapeno to the pot. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheese, and then cilantro. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with some fresh bread.