This one pot pasta is super quick, easy and delicious meal on a chilly winter evening. It uses simple, wholesome ingredients that are lean but pack a savory taste palate. It uses lean chicken breast as the meat, but you can easily substitute this for chicken thighs if you crave more of a rich flavor.
I like to precut my ingredients so they’re easy and accessible when you need them. The allows you to be able to focus on the process of cooking the food rather than the preparation once you’ve already began.
We start by sautéing the slices of chicken in some butter which will not only add a richer flavor, but will give the meat a bit of a golden brow crust while keeping it juicy. After the meat is cooked, add in the olive oil and the vegetables you have chosen (BUT NOT SPINACH). Add the garlic as well and cook until the vegetables are translucent.
Next we add the flour and let it cook for a minute. This will help to thicken the sauce you’re about to create! Add the chicken broth, half and half or milk and the spices. Let them incorporate and simmer for a moment before you add the pasta!
Choosing the right pasta will vary your cooking time. In this post I opted for my daughter’s favourite which is rotini, but in the past I have also used penne, fettuccini and bow tie. Once the pasta is cooked, remove the pasta from heat and add the Parmesan cheese and spinach. Enjoy!
One Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 250 grams of dried pasta
- 1 1/2 cups of half and half cream or milk
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of sun dried tomato
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups spinach (optional)
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a saute pan. Cook the chicken until there is no longer pink.
- Add the olive oil. Add the vegetables (except spinach), including garlic, and cook until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the half and half or milk slowly, the broth, pasta and spices. Stir all together and place lid. Let the mixture simmer on low for 12-15 minutes until the pasta is cooked. Remove from heat.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and optional spinach. Serve hot.