This lasagna recipe is one of those hearty winter recipes that needs to be in your cookbook. Although my recipe used cottage cheese as opposed to the traditional ricotta, I find the cottage cheese to be more textured and forgiving rather than the smooth ricotta. It’s all about personal preference though!
My lasagna uses primarily lean ground beef as the meat, but this could be easily substituted for a beef/pork mixture or even ground turkey or chicken. The vegetables that are included were some of my favourites: zucchini, mushrooms, onions and peppers. I didn’t have spinach on hand for this recipe or else I would have included spinach as well. Just be sure to cook your vegetables alongside your meat so that the water evaporated and it doesn’t affect the texture of the lasagna!
I begin my preparing my sauce. I use roughly one pound of meat, and like I said earlier I prefer to use lean ground beef. I sautéed the meat with the vegetables and garlic, and I seasoned it lightly with salt and pepper.
Whenever the meat and vegetables have finished cooking, drain the mixture so the excess fat can drip off. Return the mixture to the pan, and add one and a half jars of tomato sauce of your choice. I decided to use Classico’s Sweet Basil Marinara which is a savory, delicious tomato sauce. I turn down the heat to low, and let the sauce simmer while I prepare the cheese mixture.
I begin by emptying a container of cottage cheese (I’m using 1%) into a medium size bowl. I then add two eggs, and two cups of shredded marble cheese. I mix it all together to form the cheese mixture.
After I create the cheese mixture and occasionally stir the sauce, I spray a 9″x11″ baking dish with some olive oil and I begin to layer the lasagna. I am using ready made oven noodles for this particular recipe, but it is fine to use regular noodles. Just prepare them according to the package directions and set aside.
The layers are as followed:
– cheese mixture
– Parmesan cheese
Continue this layering technique until you run out of all the layering ingredients. Finish by adding a layer of shredded cheese to the top, and top with basil.
And voila! A delicious, easy recipe your family is sure to love. Make sure you pin this recipe and add it to your personal cookbook if you enjoyed it. Please leave your feedback below!
Just Like Mom's Lasagna
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 jars of tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 1 container of cottage cheese
- oven ready lasagna noodles or lasagna noodles prepared according to package directions
- 2 eggs
- Parmesan cheese
- dried basil
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups spinach (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
- Prepare the meat in a frying pan, and cook until brown. Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper. Add the vegetables and cook until translucent. Drain.
- Mix tomato sauce in with meat and vegetable mixture and let simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, 2 eggs and 2 cups of shredded cheese until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Prepare a 9″x11″ baking dish with cooking spray, and begin the layering process.
- Meat and vegetable sauce
- Cheese mixture
- Fine layer of Parmesan cheese
- Layer all the ingredients until you have no more layers to complete.
- Top with a final layer of shredded cheese. Give a light coating of dried basil on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.