This recipe is one of our family favourites. It encompasses all that is required of a comfort food: simplicity, flavor and a boat load of cheese. This recipe can be manipulated to suit your taste, and can be served over pasta or rice. You can mix and match the vegetables, and add naan bread as a tasty addition.
The recipe itself is pretty basic, and it takes around half an hour to prepare – an easy weeknight meal! The levels of spice can be easily adjusted, which makes it a tasty option for all ages within your family. My two year old daughter loves this dish. The rich, creamy sauce soaks into the rice and it heightens the overall flavor. Let me know what you think!
Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (precut into 1 inch cubes if you want the meat to cook faster)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp of cumin
- 3/4 tsp of chili powder
- 6 slices of jarred jalapeño OR 1/3 fresh jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or 1/2 cup of water mixed with 1/2 chicken bouillon cube)
- 2 cups of cooked, white rice.
- *preferred vegetable additions:
- 1/2 zucchini, cut in half and thinly sliced.
- 1 cup of white mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- Mix the cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Season the chicken breasts with it so they are coated.
- Heat up a tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stir until seared on all sides. Remove and set aside for later.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tbsp of oil. Add all vegetables and cook until they are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute. Add chicken broth and cream cheese.
- Melt the cream cheese in the broth mixture, and add the shredded cheese as well. When all is mixed, add the jalapeños and incorporate them into the sauce.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce, cover and cook on medium-low for about 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice or pasta.