Journaling has been a big part of my life since I was a young child. I use it as an outlet to share my most inner feelings, both dark and light, and it’s a safe judgment free zone. I can look back at all of the memories from the way I remember them – not from the sugar coated social media or family album version. Journaling has been a healthy release of mine, and it’s inspirational posts such as this one that encourages me to continue to write weekly.
I used to journal more often but it’s difficult to find time to do anything for yourself as a mother. There is always another dish to wash, a pair of pants to fold, sleep to catch up on – and I found myself making excuses to ignore the hobbies I loved before giving birth to my daughter. I hope these journal questions encourage you to begin a journal, or to return to writing. Let’s begin!
52 Weekly Journal Questions
1. Looking back on the person you were ten years ago, would you imagine your life to be as it is today? What has changed?
2. What names are you considering for your children? Are you wanting to have children? If you have children, what names did you choose for them and why?
3. What words would you want people to use to describe you? How do you achieve these words?
4. Which locations around the world are on your “must see” travel bucket list?
5. If you were to place your family and friends into stereotypical roles, what roles would they be assigned and why?
6. What is your career? Why did you choose it? Was it your first choice? Would you go back and change it if you could start over?
7. Are you more of an indoor or outdoor person?
8. Do you have any pets? Did you ever consider having pets if you don’t?
9. Describe your dream home.
10. What creative outlet do you find yourself relating to the most? (Writing, music, theatre, visual arts, carpentry etc)
11. Are you like your parents in any way? What are the similarities and differences between you and your parents?
12. Describe your death row meal.
13. What accomplishments are you most proud of in your life?
14. What triggers your childhood memories?
15. Do you miss going to school? What was your favourite subject in school?
16. Write your eulogy. What do you want people to remember about you?
17. What charitable cause is important to your heart?
18. If you could have dinner with any three people, dead or alive, real or fictional, who would you choose and why?
19. How do you get from A to B? Do you use public transit? Own a car? Ride a bike? Describe your day to day transportation. What is your favourite way to travel?
20. Did you have a childhood comfort object? What was it? Where is it now?
21. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
22. List your top five material possessions and why they are so important to you.
23. Complete a mini family tree: your parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles – do you have special memories with anyone?
24. Describe your perfect outfit.
25. What do you believe happens after death?
26. What are your favourite meals to enjoy with your family?
27. What is your favourite holiday? What makes it so special to you?
28. Describe a time in your life where you felt totally at peace.
29. What fictional character or family can you relate your life to?
30. Which culture intrigues you the most?
31. What moment in your life would you redo?
32. What is your favourite colour and why?
33. Do you follow any sports? Favourite team/athlete?
34. Describe a treasured childhood memory.
35. What toys did you play with most as a child?
36. Have you ever had any paranormal experiences?
37. What are your favourite tv shows?
38. Do you have any collections? If so what are they? What would you like to start collecting?
39. What is an area you’ve struggled most with in your life?
40. What is a lifelong goal of yours to achieve?
41. Describe what makes your house a home.
42. What physical features do you love about yourself? Are there any you would change?
43. Is there a novel or movie that has changed your life?
44. If you could learn any new language, what language would you choose and why?
45. Can you relate to the description of your astrological sign? Do you agree or disagree with its traits? Do you find yourself relating to a different astrological sign? Do you believe in astrology?
46. Describe your soulmate.
47. What will the world be like 10 years from now? 50? 100? 1000?
48. What do you love about nature?
49. What were some of your favourite board games? Card games? What made you love them?
50. What is something you would do if money were no object?
51. Describe three family members you love and why you love them.
52. Looking back on the year, are you proud of yourself? What did you accomplish this year? What major events happened?
I hope you find these journal questions inspirational. Stay tuned for my answers revealed week by week. Happy journaling!